dimanche 5 juillet 2015

the conjugation of myself (92?)


I

look
over my shoulder and into my past
my hands fluttering in the air
i threw down the words as soon as they entered my mind

grabbing and hurling them from me
i threw the words onto paper
so that my hands would not be burned

i had always understood my past as if it were an open picture book
the book was full
there were chapters of recriminations
footnotes of apologies
flowing explanations with numeric listings
all in alphabetical order

an index of sarcasms
a table of sobs and cries
there were all of the things that i had been meaning to say
listed carefully
waiting for the occasion
which was always there

i knew that book so well
had it all down
memorised
quoting my favorite passages by heart
there was no aspect unforeseen
no idiosyncrasy undefined

i felt a need to break this tyranny
a longing for sheets of clean white paper
but i saw myself too often
my fear of heights kept me immobilised
frozen like snow in the back of the freezer

when i did feel warmth it was meagre
almost cheapened of its very essence

II

now come around
stand with your chest rising against my spine
looking towards my future

having broken the binding of the book
pages are strewn upon the ground
i am speaking in liquid tongues of flame
the words of the book will burn
leaving only so many insignificant ashes
i will kiss the spilling stars

and if you are there
the words will strike your brow
and leave no more than a smudge
a trace of nearly forgotten filth
the words have no more meaning
they are weak
almost below my notice

blind and mute
no sweet sounds will spill
from the black and empty gorge of my throat
no light can be seen in my clouded eyes
only the tarnished glow of bitterness
rolling out and falling pas my lips

my future is an automaton of destruction
an unthinking obliteration of my own language
there is no hope
only foul smelling smoke
pouring from my mouth
and slipping from between my teeth

III

and now take my hand and feel my present
there are no senses here
there is no need for them
there is only the knowledge
beyond and more than the words
the thought
never explained
the glance
seen from the corner of the eye
the possibility of an encouraging smile
the probability of a love
unmentioned but felt
the fluttering of a wind against my cheek

i lay in bed savouring the thought of you beside me
your hand in mine
your breathing my only music
my only prophecy of what is to come
your skin is my only shelter for tomorrow
and i want no more

my head turns towards yours
looking at your eyes
which are my only hope of salvation
i feel the heat of your body
inviting me on a voyage
already begun
evercontinuous
a voyage without paths or destinations
and the circle of my extended arms
forms the only answer which i could ever give you


Aucun commentaire: